Sunday, January 25, 2015

Stuck on pants

I've been debating on posting this for a while. I thought that it might just go away and I'd feel weird letting it out there, but it hasn't and I don't know when it will, so I'm posting.

My father recently passed away after an 18 month battle with pancreatic cancer. 

I have gained quite a bit of weight this past year so I no longer fit into any of my vintage clothes. Beyond that I am just not interested in wearing skirts and dresses right now. I don't know why. I know that skirts with wool tights are much warmer than pants, but I am just not feeling skirts.

This left me with a single pair of jeans which were not in good shape, so I did it. I'm not proud of that moment, but I caved and bought a pair of jeans from Walmart. They fit really well and I like the look of them. Though, I feel ashamed because I want to purchase ethically made clothing whenever I do buy clothes. The only problem is that I need to try on clothes before I know what size to get. So any suggestions on a physical store that sells ethically made jeans at reasonable prices. I prefer American made if possible.

I am thinking of making a pair of vintage pants and seeing if I would feel comfortable wearing them. I have two patterns to consider 


Does anyone have any experience with either of these patterns? I have never seen pants before. What about fabrics? I love wool but have never sewn with it and do not know which types are good for winter pants. I know I want something fairly heavy weight.

I have been training for two pancreatic cancer events, a 5k and a triathlon. I do not have much free time for exercise, so I have been doing this during lunch. Which means showering and wet hair at lunch. Hair is the main part of my vintage look and I do not generally have time to even dry it before heading back to work after doing two sport workouts. So does anyone have any wet hairstyles they can recommend. I have been sticking with the ponytail sadly.

Also any vintage inspired workout gear would be great. I made a Pinterest board for workout clothes, but haven't found anything really practical

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about you father. My thoughts are with you.
    I have the Smooth Sailing pants pattern but have not used it. I know many other blogger have and they have turned out well. I've never heard any complaints about that pattern. I bought a repro copy of Simplicity 3322. Other then the length I needed to take the waist and hips in a little bit to get the fit just right. No other complaints. The other pants pattern I've used is Simplicity 1306 which I like because it closes in front with a zipper.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't have Simplicity 1306, but it does look nice. I have a pair of vintage wool trousers and they zip in the front like that. Sadly they are only a 24 inch waist. Which is even outside of my goal range of where I want to be. LOL. I might need to start an etsy shop to get rid of stuff that is not within reason of fitting me ever again, but it is quite a bit of effort and I love the items so much.

      Delete
  2. Oh Brandy, I'm just seeing this now, but want to extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family on your father's passing a few months ago all the same. What a brutal note to begin 2015 on. I'm truly sorry that you had to experience that and hope that the rest of your year has been more positive so far.

    There is such a lack of vintage looking workout gear. Every now and then a small scale business with come along that claims to have "workout gear for vintage gals", but they rarely last long and I honestly can't even call one to mind at the moment. I like to stick with neutral colours, the most basic/classic styles I can find, and use scarves or hair wraps to least keep things looking vintage-y from the neck up.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete